Dr. Charles D. Webb – Family Practitioner
Over the last three decades, Dr. Charles Webb has worked full-time as a family practitioner in Vancouver, BC, first as a GP Anesthetist and then in the ER at BC Creston Valley Hospital, where he was head of anesthesia.
He obtained his MBChB from the University of Cape Town in 1981, and his Diplomate of Anaesthesia (DASA) from the College of Medicine of South Africa, while conscripted into the SADF in 1982.
In 30-years of practice, he has been in the same full-service GP Practice with full hospital privileges at St. Vincent’s Hospital, followed by St. Paul’s and Mount St. Joseph’s for 15-years until hospitalist services began to offer inpatient hospital care.
He has since graduated the GPSC Leadership and Management Development Program at SFU and attained the Institute of Corporate Directors Designation (ICD.D ) from the Toronto University Rothman School of Business.
Dr. Webb has served as President of the Doctors of British Columbia (DoBC) and spent 5 years on the Board of Directors of DoBC as well as currently President of the Vancouver Medical Association. He also served 3 years on the CMA Board of Directors while also on the CMA Governance and Finance Committees. He was the founding Vice-Chair of the Vancouver Division of Family Practice (VDoFP) in 2010.
Dr. Webb currently serves on the Board of Directors of the UBC Clinical Faculty Association (CFA) and is the representative of the CFA and chair of the Academic Freedom Subcommittee of the Canadian Association of University Teachers. In this role, he helped develop templates for stronger HA and facility contract wording and processes aimed at protecting whistleblowers in 2019/2020 and strengthening the support of clinical faculty members facing bullying and harassment from health authority hospital administrators across the country in 2020/21.
In addition, he is a Life Patron of the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada. He also received the VDoFP Chairs Recognition Award in Grateful Appreciation for Leadership and Contributions to The Division and Family Practice in Vancouver in 2016.
University of Cape Town, 1982
Groote Schuur Hospital, Cape Town
MB (Bachelor of Medicine), ChB (Bachelor of Surgery), DASA (Diploma in Anaesthesia College of Medicine of South Africa), ICD.D (Institute of Corporate Directors Designation
Current practice location:
Relevant leadership positions and other professional experience:
- President Elect and Director, Doctors of BC – 2014 to 2015
- President and Director, Doctors of BC – 2015 to 2016
- Chair, CPAC, Doctors of BC – 2016 to 2017
- Member, Audit and Finance Committee, Doctors of BC – 2015 to 2017
- Member, Governance Committee, Doctors of BC – 2015 to 2017
- Member, HRCC, Doctors of BC – 2015 to 2016
- Chair, HRCC , Doctors of BC – 2016 to 2017
- President BCMA Foundation, Doctors of BC – 2016 to 2017
- Secretary Treasurer, Vancouver Medical Association – 2015 to 2016
- President Elect, Vancouver Medical Association – 2016 to 2017
- President, Vancouver Medical Association – 2017 to 2021
- Director, UBC Clinical Faculty – 2017 to 2021
- Chair, Academic Freedom Subcommittee, Canadian Association of Clinical Teachers – 2019 to 2021
- Director, Canadian Medical Association – 2017 to 2020
- Member, Audit and Finance Committee, Canadian Medical Association – 2017 to 2020
- Member, Governance Committee, Canadian Medical Association – 2019 to 2020
- Full Member, Medical Services Commission Province of British Columbia – 2016 to 2017
- Alternate Member, Medical Services Commission Province of British Columbia – 2015 to 2016
- Member, Physician Services Committee, Ministry of Health, Province of British Columbia – 2016 to 2017
- Registered Lobbyist, Office of the Commissioner, Federal Government of Canada – 2017 to 2020